A study published in the journal Cell Metabolism recently explored the effects of a certain gene on some humans’ extreme fondness for sweets. It was found that the presence of the particular gene FGF21 increased the likelihood of a person developing the often called “sweet tooth” by 20%. This is directly attributed to the increasing rate of obesity and similar problems globally.
There’s no denying that sweets are one of life’s great joys. But if you have a sweet tooth, you know that too much of a good thing can quickly turn into a not-so-good thing. Too much sugar can lead to weight gain, cavities, and even type 2 diabetes. So what’s a person with a sweet tooth to do? Here are five habits to help keep it in check.
1. Visit the dentist regularly.
If you have a sweet tooth, regular visits to your trusted dental clinic are important for several reasons. First, sugary foods can contribute to tooth decay by promoting the growth of harmful bacteria. Over time, these bacteria can break down the enamel of the teeth, leading to cavities. In addition, sugary foods can also stick to the teeth and lead to tartar buildup.
Tartar is a hardened deposit of plaque that can only be removed by a professional cleaning. If left untreated, tartar can eventually lead to gum disease. Therefore, by visiting the dentist regularly, people with a sweet tooth can help to prevent cavities and gum disease.
A standard dentist appointment usually includes a check for any signs of cavities or gum disease. In addition, the dentist may recommend ways to prevent cavities and gum disease, such as quitting smoking, using fluoride toothpaste, and eating a healthy diet.
2. Eat breakfast every day.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for people with a sweet tooth. Eating breakfast helps stabilize your blood sugar levels and gives you sustained energy throughout the day, making you less likely to crave sugary snacks.
There are several ideal options for food combinations, but here are some examples.
- Oatmeal, which is high in fiber, can help to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Eggs, which are high in protein, help to keep you feeling full.
- Yogurt, which is high in calcium, can help to strengthen teeth and gums.
- Whole grain toast, which is high in fiber and nutrients, can help to fill you up and give you sustained energy.
In addition to eating breakfast, it’s also important to avoid skipping meals. Skipping meals can lead to overeating later in the day, which can cause weight gain. And finally, don’t forget to drink plenty of water! Water helps to wash away food particles and bacteria from the teeth, and it also helps to hydrate the mouth tissues.
3. Incorporate healthy fats into your diet.
Fat may get a bad rap, but the right kind of fat is essential for keeping your cravings in check. Healthy fats like avocados, nuts, and olive oil help to satisfy your hunger and give you lasting energy. This is because healthy fats take longer to digest than other nutrients, such as carbohydrates.
One great way to incorporate healthy fats into your diet is by cooking with them. Here are a few recipes to get you started.
- Avocado toast: This is a quick and easy breakfast option that can be made with just some whole grain toast, avocados, and salt. Slice the avocado and spread it on top of the toast, then season with salt to taste.
- Salmon with pesto: This dish is not only healthy and delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. Simply pan-fry or bake some salmon filets and top them with pesto sauce. You can either use store-bought pesto or make your own using fresh herbs like basil, parsley, and olive oil.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasting vegetables is a great way to bring out their natural sweetness and flavor. Try roasting some carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, or bell peppers for a tasty side dish or snack.
- Nut butter jars: These are a great on-the-go snack option that can be easily customized to your liking. Simply mix together some nut butter of your choice (almond butter, peanut butter, etc.), honey, and shredded coconut or cacao nibs for a sweet and nutritious treat.
- Green smoothies: Green smoothies are a great way to pack in plenty of nutrients and antioxidants in one drink. Add spinach, kale, avocado, banana, and almond milk to a blender and blend until smooth. You can also add in other ingredients like honey, chia seeds, or protein powder for an added boost of energy.
4. Reduce stress.
Stress can lead to a number of unhealthy habits, including overeating, smoking, and drinking alcohol. And when you’re stressed, your body produces more of the hormone cortisol, which can encourage your body to store fat. So, it’s important to find ways to manage stress in order to keep your cravings under control.
There are a number of different stress-relieving techniques you can try, such as yoga, meditation, and aromatherapy. Exercise is also a great way to reduce stress. Not only does it release endorphins, which have mood-boosting effects, but it can also help to clear your mind and give you some time to yourself.
Whenever you’re feeling overwhelmed or stressed, take a few minutes for yourself and try one of these stress-relieving techniques. You’ll be surprised at how much better you’ll feel.
If you have a sweet tooth, these habits will help you enjoy sweets in moderation without sacrificing your health or compromising your waistline. Start incorporating these into your life today and enjoy the sweetness of life without overindulging!